Friday 12 September 2014

Starting Afresh

Well hello!

I have started up this blog about my trials, tribulations and triumphs in all things crafty! I like to dabble in all sorts, card making, knitting, attempting to crochet and now sewing! I have had a sewing machine for a while but only used it for repairs but spurred on by the Great British Sewing Bee earlier this year I dusted it off and downloaded a free pattern from Colette Patterns call the Sorbetto top, you can find it here: Sorbetto Top. My first attempt at a pattern turned out quite wearable


So with this triumph under my belt I was brave and bought expensive (well, expensive for me!) fabric and a pattern for the "Kate" dress, which can be purchased here: Kate It is a very good first bought pattern, simple to make, the instructions are really clear and you end up with a lovely dress. I've made 3 of them now and can do it without the instructions (so it must be easy!), this is my favourite version the "campervan one"



The pattern is Campervans and scooters. I am a massive fan of VW's and we are the proud owners of a 1976, late T2 bay camper which we have lovingly name Alan.

So after making my Kate I decided to have a go at shirring a simple summer dress for myself, but alas no, no matter what I do to my Brother machine it simply wont shir! So whats a girl to do??? Well the problem seems to stem from the fact the the Brother is a top loading bobbin and this system seems to have a disliking for elasticated thread. Its hit and miss, some machines will do it and some wont, mine is the latter of the two. So I decided to trawl eBay for a vintage side loading machine. I got out bid on a couple but can across an auction that was a stones throw from my house and I won it, all of £10! The listing did say they knew nothing about sewing so could not test it but I though for a tenner its worth the risk. All that needed doing was clearing the lint from the feed dogs, it sews like a dream! Here is is in all its glory


I will now dig out the summer dress that I started and have another go at it!


No comments:

Post a Comment